Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Can I get a Geektionary?


The picture above is a bar scene from the movie Star Wars.  Do you think you could name the characters standing around the bar? Better yet, could you name the actors who played these characters?  This is an example of the dedication and knowledge my dear sweet husband  and most of his friend have.  I am lucky to be able to follow what is going on in the scene.

There are times when talking with my husband and his friends, I feel like I am in a foreign country.  All I ask is that you speak English to me and geek to others. :)  I am not content with sitting in a corner nodding my head in understanding and then asking my husband later what the heck was everyone talking about.  LOL! 

I have noticed that I am picking up on some of the "lingo" and I can state certain facts about Star Wars (which is my husband's love) and I LOVE those little Ewoks.  But I still cannot and probably will never be able to quote anything from a movie.  Even some of my favorite movies I cannot pull a line out unless you count "ET phone home" or any song from Grease or Grease II?  

So here's some advise from a geeks wife, if you get a lot of head nodding and not alot of contribution to your conversation about Alderaan, TARDIS or a Tribble, it does not mean we are in awe of your knowledge but are most likely confused and have no idea what you are talking about. While writing this I could not recall something, so you should never assume all boys are geeks.  I walked over to one of my male coworkers and asked if he remembered the name of those little furry things on Star Trek.  He informed me that he has never and will never watch Star Trek. :(  As I walked away from his desk I yelled "TRIBBLES" and know my other coworkers think I have lost it.  ((shrug)) Oh well. :)

They say knowledge is power and everyday I try to learn something new, so that I can be more of a contributor to conversations instead of an observer.

1 comment:

  1. You could have called me. I could have told you it was a Tribble. :)
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete